Sometimes we have a story to tell about how a dog came to be a foster here at CTP. Maybe they were rescued by a hero police officer that found them during a neglect and abuse investigation. Maybe they were left to starve in an abandoned home. Maybe they were surrendered because their owner passed away. Maybe they were left at a vet because the owner couldn't afford their medical care. Maybe they were dumped in a box at the door of a county shelter. Elmer has a story. We just don't know what it is.
You see, Elmer was picked up as a stray, like so many dogs are. Dogs end up strays for a variety of reasons. They could have run away from their home, gotten lost after being in an accident with their people, been let go when owners could no longer care for them, left behind to fend for themselves when their owners moved. We just don't know his history and that's ok because he's looking forward to his future and finding his forever family so they can help write his story. So, we can't tell you much about how Elmer ended up in rescue in need of medical attention, but we can tell you that one of our amazing fosters stepped up to foster him and his big 'ol noggin and we are looking forward to learning more about this sweet boy.
* Crate trained
* Potty trained'
* Average energy
ACTIVITIES THIS CUTIE ENJOYS:
* Treats: cheese, hot dogs, people food in general
* Food: not picky
* Toys: chew bones, interactive type, Kongs, lickimats, stuffed toys he can destroy, snuffle mat, ropes but he's a rope thrower!
* Walks: manageable, pulls but eases up. He will pull towards whatever he is interested in, like people, other dogs, and things he wants to smell.
* Sending time with people
* Being touched and scratched, especially his neck and back
* Likes to investigate and smell all the things
* Gives 'walrus kisses' which is when he presses his nose to yours so you can feel his whiskers. He isn't much of a tongue kisser.
* Is a fan of a drive thru because they tend to lead to a treat
* Dogs: friendly
* Kids: probably be fine, he was well-mannered when he met kids on a walk
* People: friendly, overexcited
* Cats: not friendly
* He still exhibits puppy behaviors
* He will probably gain some weight
* Not a big fan of baths and nail trims (just take him to a groomer)
* Can get slightly mouthy when overexcited
* May cry and whine when crated
* Has been known to throw ropes (watch out!)
* Has been known to counter surf (he hasn't taken anything but he likes to look around and he would probably take things given the chance)
* Has been known to 'hug' (ie: hump) when excited but can be redirected
* He really needs daily naps to handle his tired toddler behavior
THE PERFECT HOME:
* Will commit to a decent daily walk or two to manage his energy
* Will work with him on training
* Will continue giving him Kongs and lickimats when crated
* Will understand he will probably gain weight once he builds up his muscle
* Will be fine with a big headed baby!
* Will keep kibble/treats handy to practice 'four on the floor' when overexcited
* Will continue daily medication if needed
HIS FOSTER SAYS:
* He is still showing puppy behaviors even though he is 2 to 3 years old.
* Likes to investigate, especially if things move or make noise
* He'd probably get into trouble if left unsupervised
* He'll lay in the middle of the floor in the kitchen and expect you to step over him
* Has a small obsession with stealing socks and scrunchies so be mindful of what is lying around
* Chills well during the day but doesn't always settle at night
* He is well-behaved in the car
* He's perfectly happy hanging out in a home office with a chew
* He is really just a baby ogre with a large head and lots of love to give