What does the application process entail?
The application process begins with completing an application on our website. Once reviewed, someone will be in contact to conduct a phone interview. During that time, the application team is calling HOA/Landlord, municipality, references, & Veterinarian if applicable.
Pending approval, a Home Visit will be scheduled to make sure it is a safe place for a dog and to answer any questions you may have about adding another dog to your family.
All of the above steps are then reviewed by the Chi-Town Pitties, Inc. Board for final approval.
Once your application is approved by the Board, we will move forward with scheduling meet and greets with potential dogs that are a good fit for you and your family.
What are the application requirements?
- Must be at least 23 years of age
- Be able to show proof of age with either state ID or Driver's License
- All resident pets must be up to date with vaccinations and be spayed/neutered.
- If you currently rent, must provide landlord phone number and possible copy of lease
- If you have an HOA, must provide HOA contact information
- Must live within 50 miles of Wheaton, IL.
- We do not adopt females to a home with an existing female
- We do not adopt to a home with 3 or more existing pets
What is Foster to Adopt?
After meeting a dog that is a good fit for you and your family, you can move forward with "Foster to Adopt." This is a minimum of two-weeks, with the Two-Week Shut Down into place, helping the dog acclimate to your home, and to ensure the dog is the best fit possible. If after this period the dog is a good fit, you can move forward with finalizing the adoption.
What is the Two-Week Shut Down?
The Two-Week Shut Down is a game changing introduction protocol that we use for all dogs, whether it is a dog going into a Foster Home or a Foster to Adopt Home.
This allows the dog to decompress, destress, and become used to sights, sounds, and smells of its new surroundings. It is not just for the new dog, it is also for any residents, canine and human.
To read more about the Two Week Shut Down, click here.
What are the adoption fees?
- $300 for dogs over 1 year
- $350 for dogs under 1 yearAttending a training course with one of our approved trainers is mandatory for all dogs adopted under 1 year of age, at adopters cost.